Amazon today announced its continued investment in British Columbia’s economy and Metro Vancouver through an expansion that includes five new buildings: a fulfillment centre, sortation centre and three delivery stations.
The investment will create more than 2,000 safe jobs with competitive pay, industry-leading benefits and career growth opportunities starting on day one.
“We’re thrilled to expand our network in British Columbia to better serve our customers while offering our employees bright, safe careers with on-the-job training and upskilling,” said Sumegha Kumar, Director of Canadian Customer Fulfillment Operations, Amazon Canada.
“Our new facilities will help us meet our customers’ growing demand for great products and faster delivery times while also expanding the service and support we can provide to the thousands of local small businesses selling their products on Amazon.”
Amazon is launching five new sites in British Columbia:
- Vancouver – A 450,000 square-foot advanced robotics fulfillment centre in the Port of Vancouver will launch in late 2021. This is Amazon’s first robotics fulfilment centre in the province and it will create 1,000 jobs.
- City of Langley – A new sort centre that will open later in 2021, creating more than 500 jobs.
- Langley Township – A delivery station that celebrated its day one launch in mid-February, creating 200 jobs.
- Pitt Meadows – A delivery station will open later in 2021, creating hundreds of jobs.
- Delta – A delivery station will open later in 2021, creating hundreds of career opportunities.
Amazon employs more than 5,500 full- and part-time employees in operations, corporate and technology positions in British Columbia and has invested more than $3 billion in the province over the last decade.
“This expansion by Amazon is an endorsement that British Columbia is a desirable place for a global company to make a long-term commitment,” said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation. “We welcome the career opportunities created for people and families, and the chance to showcase to the world the amazing products from B.C.’s small- and medium-sized businesses.”
“Amazon is once again choosing to grow in Vancouver, confirming our city’s global appeal to the world’s best innovators and creators. This investment and the new 1,000 jobs that comes with it is a direct result of Vancouver’s commitment to bringing the best and brightest companies to our city,” added Kennedy Stewart, Mayor of Vancouver.
“From world-leading companies like Amazon, to the start-ups of tomorrow, Vancouver is the place to be to grow and launch amazing products and ideas to new markets in Canada and beyond.”
Leave a Reply