B.C.’s Redlen Technologies is being acquired by Canon for $341 million.
Founded in 1999, Redlen is the leading provider of multi-energy, X-ray imaging modules based on proprietary Cadmium Zinc Telluride imaging sensors.
Canon had a 15% stake in the Saanichton-based company and it has agreed to buy the remaining 85%.
The acquisition will empower Canon to develop the chips that power a new generation of CT scanners as it shifts its focus away from cameras and office equipment.
Canon is developing CT scanners that reduce radiation exposure to one-tenth by leveraging Redlen technology that efficiently detects X-rays.
When a CT scan is taken, the human body is irradiated with X-rays. Images are captured by detecting the number of X-rays that pass through each part of the body.
Redlen is developing photon-counting detector technology using its own chips. The technology directly converts radiation into electrical signals. This allows for reduced radiation exposure during a scan.