Now in its 22nd year, the New Ventures BC Competition, presented by Innovate BC, is back and searching for BC’s best new tech startups.
BC’s largest and longest-running tech competition is known for identifying and propelling forward the province’s most quickly-rising startups.
Winner of last year’s Alumni Impact Award was 2013 second-place finisher AbCellera. The Vancouver-based company has undergone lightning-speed growth with its antibody therapies that fight COVID-19 and is currently Canada’s most valuable biotechnology company.
AbCellera is far from the competition’s only notable success. Earlier this year, VFX company and 2015 alumni Ziva Dynamics was acquired by Unity, Victoria-based Certn has grown to 270 employees since 2017, and 2020 alumni Daanaa has just raised $7 million.
This year New Ventures BC is giving away over $250,000 in non-dilutive cash and prizes to the most promising tech ventures across the province.
Why enter the 2022 New Ventures BC Competition? It’s more than just a contest.
- Education: Learn from top speakers in a series of workshops.
- Mentorship: Join mentors panels and work with a mentor team (Top 25 finalists).
- Networking: Meet their community of startups, advisors, and investors.
- Feedback. Test your business idea with a jury of experts.
- Recognition. Their Top 25 finalists become ventures to watch.
Throughout the competition they run a series of educational workshops and events that are free for BC tech startups.
Beyond the top three Innovate BC prizes, there are industry specific prizes and a prize for the top regional startup.